This article was written by Dr. Hakan Doganay to provide all possible details on unshaven hair transplant.
What is Unshaven Hair Transplant?
Unshaven hair transplant is a procedure of hair transplant without shaving, it is already clear from the term. The idea of hair transplant without buzz cut or shaving sounds good for those candidates who are thinking about this procedure. Moreover, most patients do not want people to know that they had hair transplanted.
In classic FUE technique a zero shaving, which is only one millimeter long has to be made. Unshaven hair transplant approach completely excludes the shaving. We can state that the leading position in the world belongs to unshaven hair transplant Turkey. In America and Europe, it is called (U-FUE – undetectable FUE).
Candidates expectations about hair transplant raised together with the development of the FUE. It significantly improved comfort during surgery. One of these improvement results is the unshaven hair transplant. It is worth mentioning that this approach is not an independent new method. We have been operating it since 2009. You can find the published results on our website dated accordingly. Dr. Doganay is one of the first ones who started performing unshaven hair transplant Turkey. Nowadays, this procedure is promoted as something new. Moreover, U-FUE hair transplant used to be even more popular than FUT surgery. Today, clinics’ number offering this operation is increasing.
Who Can Undergo Unshaven Hair Transplant?
Now people are interested in unshaven hair transplant Turkey a lot. They always check if it is possible to go through the surgery without cutting their hair. This improvement lets people return to routine life fast and feel more comfortable. Unfortunately, many candidates postpone the hair transplant due to shaving (as they do not know about new methods). Nonshaven hair transplant does not cut a person from social and business life, this is one of its greatest advantages. This procedure has been taking one of the major directions in our practice.
It is important to mention that unshaven hair transplants do not suit everybody.
Who Can Have the Unshaven Hair Transplant?
- Patients with Norwood 2-3, where not too many grafts are needed
- Candidates who wish to have surgery with Pen Implanter (Dhi hair transplant)
- Hair transplants in women
- The unshaven method is ideal for eyebrow transplants
- Top (vertex-crown) hair implant
- Men with a minimum of 8-10 cm long hair on the nape
- People with rare hair applying for density increase procedure.
- It can also be an alternative for those people who already underwent transplants and are thinking about additional procedures.
This method may not be appropriate for candidates who need a big number of grafts or who prefer the channel method. There are several techniques of the unshaven hair transplant, let us check them:
How Are Unshaven Transplant Turkey Done? What Are the Methods?
The procedure can be classified in three groups. They are:
a) Donor area is shaved and the recipient area remains unshaven
This is one of the most practiced methods. The donor area is partially shaved. Having long hair in the donor area is a must for this technique. For example, nape hair should be a minimum of 8-10 cm long. Usually, a 2×10-15 cm area is shaved in the nape, the same as in regular procedure (alike in the FUT surgery).
The grafts are extracted from the shaved donor area identically to classical FUE. The unshaved hair located next to the donor zone easily covers shaved areas. As a result, hair transplant remains imperceptible from the very first day of the surgery. To do this with the channel method is very difficult, but the procedure can be easily operated by the Dhi.
We have been operating unshaven hair transplant Turkey in female hair transplants since 2009 as a routine. A maximum of 2.000 grafts can be transplanted within one session. The picture below shows a shaved part of the donor area, where grafts are extracted. If the required number of grafts is higher than 2.000, a few more transplants can be planned with a year interval. The pictures show the application type ‘shaved donor, unshaven recipient’.
b) Completely Unshaven Hair Transplant Turkey
The donor area is not shaved at all. The roots are extracted one by one by special FUE punches. This procedure is pretty complicated and requires a lot of time. Approximately 500-700 grafts can be extracted within a session. It is not practiced a lot. The used punches are designed uniquely for this surgery. Transplants are operated by manual tools only, the micro motor is not suitable. This procedure is commonly known as long hair FUE. The root damage risk is quite high. Even if the grafts are long, they still face shock loss between 15 and 45 days after the surgery.
c) Donor Area is Shaved, Recipient Area is Unshaved
The approach is favored when a big number of grafts are needed. The donor area is shaved completely and a big volume of graft is collected. The recipient remains the same or cuts in 2-3 cm long. As in regular surgery, 4.000-5.000 can be collected. This approach is perfect for density increase procedures.
If this procedure is operated mutually with the channel method, the unshaven long hair may be destroyed. This is why only the pen implanter technique is the most suitable for it. Unshaven hair transplant Turkey package is mainly preferred by our patients from overseas, while local candidates favor regular ones. Usually, Turkish patients choose to shave the nape area and leave top and front zones unshaven. In the picture above you can, the example of a completely shaved donor area, and the recipient remains untouched. This approach ideally suits density increase and vertex area transplants.
In unshaven hair transplant Turkey, all procedures of the standard FUE remain the same except for shaving. These are frontal line design, grafts collection, and implantation.
Nonshaven Hair Transplantation Videos
We published two videos for you below. The first one shows the Dhi unshaven hair transplant in the woman, it was published in 2010. The year proves that an unshaven hair transplant is not a new procedure and has been practiced for a long time. Our clinic has been performing these operations for more than 10 years. The second video illustrates the unshaven hair transplant technique. Subscribe to our YouTube channel and be posted on new videos.
Why is the Hair Shaved?
Standard FUE hair transplant includes zero shavings, which is 1-2 mm in length above the skin, that approximately equals 2-3 mm in total. The grafts are extracted by micro-motor or manual punches in the FUE technique. Both approaches lead to an easy and pretty successful collection. Moreover, around 5.000 – 6.000 grafts can be extracted by this method. Surely, this number of roots cannot be implanted during one session.
Unshaven Dhi Hair Transplants (Pen Implanter Method)
Unshaven hair transplant Turkey gained popularity due to its advantages next to standard FUE. On the opposite, in the channel method, opening the channels with long hair is very complicated. This is why shaving is a must in the channel method. The pen implanter easily implants long grafts in rare hair. Having this technique (the Dhi unshaven hair transplant) is one of the biggest advantages of the approach. You can find many comments and information about unshaven hair transplants Turkey on international forums. If you are thinking about the hair transplant without shaving your hair, the pen implanter or Dhi transplant is the best option.
Unshaven hair transplant sounds nice. Together with its benefits, there are also some disadvantages.
What Are the Advantages of the Unshaven Hair Transplant?
- Whether it is a partially shaved or full shaved hair transplant method, the healing process remains the same. However, there is faster progress in appearance. Due to this patients can return to their routine life and activities easily. Moreover, they can go to work the next day after surgery.
- Scabs on the donor and recipient areas can easily be camouflaged with existing long hair.
- It is impossible to identify hair transplants in unshaven surgery. Even your family will not be able to understand that you had a hair transplant.
- Density increase surgeries are quite safe. Especially when they are performed by the pen implanter technique. The density may be increased by implanting grafts into rare recipient areas with the pen implanter. This is one of the major advantages.
- Shaving for female hair transplant is an important issue for women. This approach is a great solution for them.
- The time required for the hair to reach its former length will be eliminated in female hair transplants.
- If the recipient’s rare area is shaved in density increase procedure, it is hard to see hairless gaps. When the hair is long, the gaps are easily recognized. This is a great benefit of the unshaven hair transplant. Many clinics claim right opposite to this. They say that it is harder to see hairless gaps in long hair. As a clinic with more than 10 years of experience, we state that an unshaven transplant is operated more successfully in long hair.
What Are the Disadvantages of Unshaven Hair Transplant?
- Unfortunately, a limited number of grafts can be collected in unshaven hair transplants. We think that a maximum of 2.000 grafts must be extracted within a single session. If more hair follicles are required, then, another session should be planned in 10-12 months. This can be considered as a disadvantage.
- There is no difference in complications after the surgery, the situation is the same as in classic FUE.
- Washing after the surgery is more complicated compared to the shaved transplant. Softening cream should be applied to the hair before washing to prevent them from sticking to each other. Hair must be washed carefully to avoid damage. We advise you to do the fist washing at the clinic where hair transplant was operated.
- The channel method causes damage to the grafts in unshaven hair transplants.
The Period After the Unshaven Hair Transplant and Its Results
There is no difference between the recovery period of shaved or unshaved hair transplants. Hair washing after unshaven hair transplants must be made very carefully. Especially in women, the applied cream can stick to the hair and cause defection. Complications risks are the same as in the regular FUE.
Shock loss in unshaven hair transplant starts in 15-25 days after the surgery. The process of shock hair loss is the same as after the regular procedure. Moreover, the process and results are also identical. Hair growth occurs in 4-6 months. Approximately, in one year, the hair gets to the wanted state. If you are interested in the unshaven hair transplant, get in touch with us by following number 0090 532 313 41 98. If you send us your hair photos by WhatsApp, we can consult you online. Additionally, you can contact us through email.
Is the Price for Unshaven Hair Transplant Different?
Unshaven hair transplant is a unique procedure that requires certain experience and skills of the operating doctor. The operation lasts longer and needs efforts. Prices of the procedure are a little higher than the regular hair transplant price in our clinic. There is a wide range of these surgery prices in the market offered by other centers. Some clinics suggest rates based on the number of grafts, while others calculate it independently. We identify the price based on the number of grafts. The cost of unshaven hair transplants in the USA and Europe varies between 6 and 10 EUR per graft. We will provide you full cost details when you get in touch with us.
Who is Suitable for the Unshaven Hair Transplant?
Unshaven hair transplant is suitable in the following cases:
*Hair transplant in women
*Patients with long hair on the nape and who need no more than 1.800-2.000 grafts
Is Unshaven Hair Transplant Expensive?
The procedure is complicated and requires certain skills, this is why the expensiveness is normal.
Does Unshaven Hair Transplant Injure Existing Hair?
Hair can be injured if the procedure is operated by the channel method. With the Dhi damaging hair has a very slight chance. Surgery results in almost no damage when the density increase operation is made by pen implanter.
What is the Successful Results Rate in Unshaven Hair Transplants?
This depends on the experience and skills of the operation doctor and his technicians. If a team is inexperienced, so are the results. Unshaven hair transplant outcome completely depends on how the doctor is good at the pen implanter.
Should the Hair be Shaved in Areal Hair Transplant?
Areal hair transplant is the procedure that requires a small number of grafts – 1.000-1.500 or post-traumatic hair coverage. In this case, the areal unshaven hair transplant is easily operated.
What are the Disadvantages of the Unshaven Hair Transplant?
Unshaven hair transplant is not applicable to patients with short hair. The nape hair length must be a minimum of 6-7 cm long. The implantation period is longer than in standard procedure. Especially, complete unshaven hair transplant requires a lot of time.
- Nonshaven Follicular Unit Extraction Ann Plast Surg. 2019 Mar; 82(3): 262–268. Published online 2018 Nov 9. doi: 10.1097/SAP.000000000000167 Jae Hyun Park, MD, PhD, Seung Hyun You, MD, and Na RaeKim MD https://journals.lww.com/annalsplasticsurgery/Fulltext/2019/03000/Nonshaven_Follicular_Unit_Extraction__Personal.3.aspx