- 1 Female Hair Loss Reasons
- 2 Can Women Have Hair Transplant?
- 3 Women Hair Transplant in 3 Stages
- 4 Must Know About Women Hair Transplant
- 5 Hair Wash After Women Hair Transplant
- 6 Women Hair Transplant Results
- 7 Female Hair Transplant Cost
- 8 Frequently Asked Questions
Women Hair Transplant gained popularity together with the invention of FUE method. Women lose hair as much as men do. According to some researches result 25-30% of women suffer from hair loss in certain stages of their life. Since the anterior hairline does not change, in most cases the problem is left unnoticed.
2 men out of 3 after 30 experience more or less hair thinning. This is why society tends to accept male hair loss as common or ordinary. On the opposite, female hair loss is not a very discussed issue. Due to this women who suffer from hair loss face more psychological problems. Many women refer to different measures to camouflage problems such as hair paint or wig. With the development of modern technologies in the field, great results rate in women hair transplant have been increasing.
Female Hair Loss Reasons
About 10% of our patients are women facing hair loss. Why does female hair loss happen? What is a female pattern hair loss?
- Uplifted innate hairline. No hair loss problem and hair transplant perfectly suites in this case.
- Pregnancy and menopause period. Women tend to lose hair during pregnancy. Sometimes hair can grow back after giving a birth. Hair loss in menopause is permanent.
- Hair loss due to stress.
- Seasonal hair loss. Usually, it occurs in spring or fall and hair re-grows back.
- Contraceptive pills.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome. A very often met disease in women which causes hair loss.
- Nutritional disorders and vitamin deficiencies. Wrong nutrition habits and mineral deficiency result in hair loss.
- Hair loss is a result of trauma, burn, face lifting, or accidents like a car crash. Women hair transplant is an aesthetic solution.
- Alopecia, a disease that causes sectional hair loss.
- Hair Loss connected to Cancer.
- Natural hair rarity.
- Inappropriate use of cosmetics.
Male pattern hair loss. Women with this pattern usually have a high testosterone level and are suitable for the hair transplant. Their donor area hair is strong as men’s.
Hormone and metabolic problems (anemia, thyroid disorders – such as goiter, etc.). Medical treatment is more rational in this case. Reason must be determined and cured first. The hair transplant may not be a good solution. If there is no response to medical treatment, the patient can apply to women hair transplant.
Female Hair Loss Categories
- Type 1. Little but extensive hair rarity. The front hairline can cover it.
- Type 2. Middle level hair rarity. The front hairline remains the same. The middle degree hair loss starts from the top and extends to the middle
- Type 3. High degree hair rarity and front hairline is distorted. Thinning and rareness are in an advanced stage.
Some tests are required before hair transplant for women to identify hair loss reasons and take decisions accordingly.
- Hemogram (whole blood)
- Iron and Iron Binding Capacity
- T3, T4, TSH levels
- Other gynecological hormone tests
- Thyroid Ultrasound
- Zinc level in the blood
- Total testosterone test
Can Women Have Hair Transplant?
A surgeon must approach to female hair transplant carefully. Women hair transplant is done in several situations, such as male hair loss pattern (androgenic hair loss), when medical treatment is completed, or did not give any results. If women patients face thyroid disorders, anemia, or metabolic problems, hair transplant is not a correct solution. Total testosterone in the blood is an important criterion for female hair loss examination.
Physical examination helps to check if donor hair is strong and dense. If it is, women hair transplant result success rate rises. Hair transplant in women or men can be done with such chronic carriers as HIV – Aids, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C. Hair transplant in this case can be compared to appendix or brain surgery to a patient with Hepatitis B. Women hair transplant must be done in passive disease stage then.
How is Female Hair Transplant Done? No Shave Women Hair Transplant.
There are two ways for female hair transplant:
- Density Increase. Implanter pen leads to great women hair transplant results.
- Forehead Line Reduction. Hairline design in crucial in female hair transplant.
Women Hair Transplant in 3 Stages
1- Hairline Design
Forehead hairline reduction needs an accurate design. Women hairline is very different from men. To achieve natural hair transplant doctor must do proper graft calculations and approve the design with patient.
2- Hair Grafts Extraction
Many clinics shave women to zero like men in female hair transplant, which is reversed many women’s lifestyle, very few of them are comfortable with shaved hair. First of all, a doctor must identify grafts number for hair transplant in women. Then a strip 2×10-15 cm2 is shaved to collect hair roots in both FUT and FUE (can be more than one strip). Unshaven hair transplant for women is very significant. With FUE grafts can be extracted one by one leaving almost no scars.
On average, depending on donor area strength, approximately 1000-2000 grafts can be collected. This number is ideal for for a single women hair transplant session. If required and donor capacity is good, another session may be scheduled in 10-12 months.
3- Hair Implant
Recipient area in female hair transplants does not need to be shaved. Usually, hair grafts are implanted between the rare hair by the Dhi hair transplant (pen implanter) technique. In our opinion, the pen implanter is the best women hair transplant. Dr. Doganay has been operating unshaven hair transplant in women for more than 10 years.
Women Hair Transplant Video
Dr. Hakan Doganay has been doing FUE unshaven hair transplant for women for the last 10 years (since 2009). female hair transplant results leave patients happy. On our YouTube channel you will find many women hair transplant videos for your reference.
Must Know About Women Hair Transplant
- Grafts number for a single session in female hair transplant is much lower compared to men. Couple or several sessions may be needed at one-year intervals. Sometimes FUT method suites better than FUE in hair transplant for women.
- Hair sprays, gels, or other chemicals should not be used before the operation.
- Treatments like mesotherapy or PRP medical support are more favorable for women rather than men.
- Hairline must be planned very well while hairline reduction session.
- After no shave women hair transplant recovery period last short. Women come back to routine life much quicker compared to men. Patients can return to normal life the next day after female hair transplant. Both areas, implanted and donor are camouflaged with long hair and there is no sign of the surgery.
- No hair paint for 45 days after women hair transplant.
- No intense sun and steam baths.
- Usually, eyebrow transplant is done together with the hair.
Hair Wash After Women Hair Transplant
After hair transplant for women period is similar to men. Hair wash must be more gentle because of unshaven hair transplant. Skin scabs must be moisturize with cream first, then washed off with warm water. Cream causes existing and transplanted hair sticking to each other, thus, you risk of damaging roots rises. To achieve the desired results, a woman (the same as a man) should wait for about one year. In the 7 – 8 months, the hair grows strong and dense.
Women Hair Transplant Results
There is not too many female hair transplant results on the internet. There are several forums and websites with Before and After hair transplant testimony. You can also check the real female hair transplant patients’ results operated by Dr. Hakan Doganay on YouTube and other social media.
Female Hair Transplant Cost
Hair transplant for women is more complicated (unshaven) compared to men, this is why cost of the procedure per grafts grows. Get in touch with us for online consultation and treatment plan. Female hair transplant cost in Turkey varies from 5000 to 25000 TL. The average female hair transplant cost overseas is 5-8 EUR per graft.
Dr. Hakan Doganay has been operating women hair transplant for more than 10 years at AHD Hair Transplant Clinic. Get in touch with us by 0090 533 247 1990 (WhatsApp).
Frequently Asked Questions
What are Women Hair Transplant Results?
Women hair transplant results successfully in following cases:
a) Androgenic Alopecia
b) Patient’s high hairline is innate and there is no hair loss
c) Partial hairless areas caused by car accidents, scars, burns, surgeries, or other traumatic situations.
Is Hair Density Operation Suite Rare Hair?
In most cases, women patients, with hair loss problems, have hair rarity. Density women hair transplant surgery is easily operated using implanter pen.
- Hair Transplantation in Women: A Practical New Classification System and Review of Technique James E. Vogel, MD Aesthetic Surgery Journal, Volume 22, Issue 3, May 2002, Pages 247–259, https://academic.oup.com/asj/article/22/3/247/183351