Women Hair Transplant gained popularity together with the invention of the FUE method. Women lose hair as much as men do. According to some researches, 25-30% of women suffer from hair loss in certain stages of their life. Since the anterior hairline does not change, in most cases hair loss is unnoticeable.
2 men out of 3 after 30 experience more or less hair thinning. This is why society tends to accept male hair loss as common or ordinary. On the opposite, female hair loss is not discussed often. Due to this women who suffer from hair loss face more psychological problems. Many women refer to different measures to camouflage problems such as hair paint or wig. With the development of modern technologies in the field, the female hair transplant success rate has been increasing.
Female Hair Loss Reasons
About 10% of our patients are women facing hair loss. Why does female hair loss happen? What is a female pattern hair loss?
- High innate hairline: No hair loss problem and hair transplant perfectly suites these patients.
- Pregnancy and menopause period. Women tend to lose hair during pregnancy. Sometimes hair can grow back after giving a birth. Hair loss in menopause is permanent.
- Hair loss due to stress.
- Seasonal hair loss. Usually, it occurs in spring or fall and hair re-grows back.
- Contraceptive pills.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome. A very often met disease in women which causes hair loss.
- Nutritional disorders and vitamin deficiencies. Wrong nutrition habits and mineral deficiency result in hair loss.
- Hair loss is a result of trauma, burn, face lifting, or accidents like a car crash. Women hair transplant is an aesthetic solution.
- Alopecia, a disease that causes sectional hair loss.
- Hair Loss connected to Cancer.
- Natural hair rarity.
- Inappropriate use of cosmetics.
Male pattern hair loss. Women with this pattern usually have a high testosterone level and are suitable for hair transplants. Their donor area hair is strong as men’s.
Hormone and metabolic problems (anemia, thyroid disorders – such as goiter, etc.). Medical treatment is more rational in this case. Reason must be determined and cured first. A hair transplant may not be a good solution. If there is no response to medical treatment, the patient can apply to a women’s hair transplant.
Female Hair Loss Categories
- Type 1. Little but extensive hair rarity. The front hairline can cover it.
- Type 2. Middle level hair rarity. The front hairline remains the same. The middle degree hair loss starts from the top and extends to the middle
- Type 3. High degree hair rarity and front hairline is distorted. Thinning and rareness are in an advanced stage.
Some tests are required before hair transplant for women to identify hair loss reasons and take decisions accordingly.
- Hemogram (whole blood)
- Iron and Iron Binding Capacity
- T3, T4, TSH levels
- Other gynecological hormone tests
- Thyroid Ultrasound
- Zinc level in the blood
- Total testosterone test
Can a Woman Have Hair Transplant?
Women’s hair transplant is done in several situations, such as male hair loss pattern (androgenic hair loss) and when medical treatment is completed or did not give any results. If women patients face thyroid disorders, anemia, or metabolic problems, hair transplant is not the correct solution. Total testosterone in the blood is an important criterion for female hair loss examination.
Physical examination helps to check if the donor’s hair is strong and dense. If it is, the female hair transplant success rate rises. Hair transplant in women or men can be done with such chronic carriers as HIV – Aids, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C. The procedure can be compared to an appendix or brain surgery to a patient with Hepatitis B. Women’s hair transplant must be done in the passive stage of the disease then.
How is Female Hair Transplant Done? No Shave Women Hair Transplant
There are two options of female hair transplant:
- Density Increase. Implanter pen helps to maximize the success rate of female hair transplants.
- Forehead Line Reduction. Hairline design in crucial in female hair transplant.
Women Hair Transplants in 3 Stages
1- Hairline Design
Forehead hairline reduction needs an accurate design. Women’s hairline is very different from men’s. To achieve a natural hair transplant doctor must do proper graft calculations and approve the design with the patient.
2- Hair Grafts Harvesting
Many clinics shave women to zero like men in female hair transplants, which is reversed many women’s lifestyles, very few of them are comfortable with shaved hair. First of all, a doctor must identify grafts number for hair transplants in women. Then a strip 2×10-15 cm2 is shaved to collect hair roots in both FUT and FUE (can be more than one strip). Unshaven hair transplant for women is very significant. With FUE grafts can be extracted one by one leaving almost no scars.
On average, depending on donor area strength, approximately 1000-2000 grafts can be harvested. This number is ideal for a single women hair transplant session. If required and donor capacity is good, another session may be scheduled in 10-12 months.
3- Hair Implantation
The recipient area in female hair transplants does not need to be shaved. Usually, hair grafts are implanted between the rare hair by the Dhi hair transplant (implanter pen) technique. Dr. Doganay has been operating no-shave hair transplants in women for more than 10 years.
Women Hair Transplant Video
Dr. Hakan Doganay has been doing FUE unshaven hair transplants for women for the last 10 years (since 2009). Hair transplants usually leave women patients happy. On our YouTube channel, you will find videos with female hair transplant reviews.
Must Know About Women Hair Transplant
- Grafts number for a single session in female hair transplant is much lower compared to men. Couple or several sessions may be needed at one-year intervals. Sometimes FUT method suites better than FUE.
- Hair sprays, gels, or other chemicals should not be used before the operation.
- Treatments like mesotherapy or PRP medical support are more favorable for women rather than men.
- Hairline must be planned very well in hairline reduction session.
- After no shave women hair transplant recovery period is shorter. Women come back to routine life much quicker compared to men. Patients can return to normal life the next day after female hair transplant. Both areas, implanted and donor are camouflaged with long hair and there is no sign of the surgery.
- No hair paint for 45 days after women hair transplant.
- No intense sun and steam baths.
- Usually, eyebrow transplant is done together with the hair if needed.
Hair Wash After Women Hair Transplant
The period after a hair transplant is similar for men and women. Hair wash must be more gentle because of unshaven hair transplant. Skin scabs must be moisturized by cream first, then washed off with warm water. Cream causes existing and transplanted hair sticking to each other, thus, the risk of damaging roots rises. To achieve the results of the operation, a woman (the same as a man) should wait for about one year. In the 7 – 8 months, the hair grows strong and dense.
Women Hair Transplant Results
There is not too many female hair transplants that rely on the internet. There are several forums and websites with Before and After hair transplant testimony. You can also check the real women’s hair transplant results operated by Dr. Hakan Doganay on YouTube and other social media.
Women’s Hair Transplant Cost
Hair transplant for women is more complicated (unshaven) compared to men, this is why the cost of the procedure. Get in touch with us for online consultation and your personal treatment plan. Female hair transplant cost in Turkey varies from 5000 to 25000 TL. The average female hair transplant cost overseas is 5-8 EUR per graft.
Dr. Hakan Doganay has been operating women’s hair transplants for more than 10 years at AHD Hair Transplant Clinic. Get in touch with us by 0090 533 247 1990 (WhatsApp).
Frequently Asked Questions
What are Women Hair Transplant Results?
Women hair transplant results success rate is high in the following cases:
a) Androgenic Alopecia
b) Patient’s high hairline is innate and there is no hair loss
c) Partial hairless areas caused by car accidents, scars, burns, surgeries, or other traumatic situations.
Is Hair Density Operation Suite Rare Hair?
In most cases, women patients, with hair loss problems, have hair rarity. Density increase in women hair transplants is easily operated by implanter pen.
How Much Does a Female Hair Transplant Cost?
Cases are individual and depending on your situation we offer you a treatment plan with two packages. One package includes Dr. Doganay doing the operation, another package has technicians – AHD Team doing the procedure. Dr. Hakan Doganay and his team have been operating women’s hair transplants for more than 10 years at AHD Hair Transplant Clinic. Get in touch with us by 0090 533 247 1990 (WhatsApp) for online consultation.
- Hair Transplantation in Women: A Practical New Classification System and Review of Technique James E. Vogel, MD Aesthetic Surgery Journal, Volume 22, Issue 3, May 2002, Pages 247–259, https://academic.oup.com/asj/article/22/3/247/183351