- 1 Is Hair Transplant Harmful?
- 2 What Are the Hair Transplant Risks?
- 3 What Are Hair Transplant Side Effects?
A hair transplant is considered to be a surgical intervention, even if it is a small procedure. Candidates usually wonder about its complications and sides. On this page, you can find detailed answers.
Is Hair Transplant Harmful?
Approximately 1500-2000 hair transplants are done daily in Turkey. This number is extremely high, negative consequences may follow because there are not enough specialists in the country to do all these operations. As a result, so-called technicians operate under the counter clinic. Taking into account this fact, it is incorrect to general state that hair transplant in Turkey has negative results. Due to the FUE method, hair transplant complications significantly reduced.
As mentioned above, a hair transplant is a small surgical procedure. It includes needle injections into the skin. Slots are made in the skin while grafting extraction and implantation. These interventions cause pain which is blocked by local anesthesia. One of the complications may be an allergy to pain killer in the anesthetic solution. As for the rest, a hair transplant may lead to complications similar to the other surgical procedures.
What Are the Hair Transplant Risks?
Complications that may occur after any surgical procedure may also do after the hair transplant. Simple measures are enough to take control over these risks. The risks are generally caused by anesthesia.
Local anesthesia is usually used in hair transplants. In very rare cases sedation is applied. Local anesthesia is a safe procedure, however, it may have a reaction due to the patient’s allergies, such as:
- Rapid Blood Pressure Decrease – may be caused by local anesthesia. Head down and foot up position helps to get a patient into a normal state.
- Pain Shock and Vomiting Due to Anaesthesia – During anesthesia application, sudden blood pressure drop and temporary consciousness loss may occur due to pain shock. This also may result in reflexive vomiting and respiratory blockage. This is a rare occurrence. As a solution, it is recommended to have a light breakfast before operation. The stomach should not be full. In addition, if anesthesia is to be performed with sedation, the person should not eat 6 hours before the procedure.
- Allergy Reactions – very rare, however, sometimes met in local anesthesia. Moreover, some anesthetic solutions include adrenalin.
- Adrenaline is used in vital conditions that can also cause heart rhythm disorders. To omit the risks, anaesthesia must be injected under the doctor’s control or by an anesthesiologist. If there is no doctor during your operation, we advise you to stay away from such places. Allergy may occur in basic symptoms like itching or redness and vary to breathe shortness. Before starting the procedure, vascular access must be established. In case of emergency medical staff to react immediately.
- Risk of Getting Infection – another complication after the hair transplant. As in the other surgical procedures, sterilization is very important here. You must be sure that all equipment used during the operation is sterile. If the tools are not sterilized properly, inflammation may occur in the transplanted area. In this case, hair growth on inflammated skin is not expected. Moreover, sterilization is significant to block transmission of such diseases as Hepatitis B, C, HIV, etc.
- Bleeding – in DHI implantation there is almost no bleeding. There may be more bleeding in the FUE than expected. This happens in case if the patient is on blood-thinning medications. He must consult with a doctor in advance and give a break if needed.
What Are Hair Transplant Side Effects?
It is not correct to refer to hair transplant complications as sides. It is better to admit some consequences that may occur after the procedure. Most complications pass themselves, while in others certain measures are needed:
- Swelling after hair transplant: Swelling after a hair transplant is an expected complication. It passes easily with basic measures.
- Shock Loss: This is a normal hair transplant consequence which we described on the shock loss page.
- Pain After Hair Transplant: There might be pain after a hair transplant, which is easily decreased by a simple pain killer. The pain is very rare.
- Itching: Itching after a hair transplant is very normal. It is a sign of wound curing. If it is aggressive, a patient can take medications.
- Pimples and Redness: Pimples and redness may occur on donor and recipient areas after the hair transplant. If they are not aggressive, there is no need to take any measures. Usually, they easily pass.
- Head Trauma After Hair Transplant: First days after the hair transplant are significant for the hair roots. Traumas during the first 10 days may damage transplanted roots.
Hair Transplant Sides Caused by Wrong Interventions
When sides and bad consequences of the hair transplant are listed, wrong intervention is the first thing that comes to our mind. We talked about this question on the bad hair transplant page. A person who does the hair transplant wants to be happier after the procedure. Unfortunately, there are many cases when patients get the opposite. Most of the bad hair transplants are permanent and not restorable. We realize how these patients feel. Therefore, the following issues must be clarified before hair transplantation:
- Is a Person Suitable for the Hair Transplant? We check whether a candidate is suitable for the hair transplant or not in advance. There are several factors that should be taken into consideration, such as the candidate’s age, graft capacity, hairless area (in cm2), expectations, etc. Those people, who are not suitable for the hair transplant may turn the situation worse by doing the operation. This sequence leads to psychological problems.
- Natural Hair Look After the Hair Transplant. This is the case when transplanted hair regrows on a badly transplanted frontal hairline, that does not look natural at all. We refer this to the bad complications of the hair transplant as well. The result of the procedure must be natural-looking beautiful hair.
All in all, a hair transplant is a harmless procedure for the human body. However, it must be done under a doctor’s supervision. If the procedure operated surgically correctly, the complication risks decrease.
Does Hair Transplant Hurt the Brain?
It is not possible with the techniques that we use. We enter the skin a maximum of 4-5mm deep. The brain tissue is protected by the sheath we call it periosteum and is inside the scalp. In short, hair transplantation has nothing to do with brain tissue.
Did Anyone Die from Hair Transplant?
Unfortunately, yes. This is why we advise you to address only those clinics where everything is done under the doctor’s control. Hair transplant is not a procedure done in the barbershop. It is a small surgical procedure and as in every operation there are certain risks
Is There a Fever After Hair Transplant?
Sometimes, there is. If you have a fever after hair transplant, address your operating doctor immediately.
Does Hair Transplant Affect Sexuality ?
There is no connection between hair transplant and sexuality. If a patient takes hormonal medications like Propecia, he may face sexual function problems
To conclude, a hair transplant is not a harmful procedure. One of its main conditions is to have an operating doctor. All risks significantly reduce when the procedure is done surgically correct.