- 1 Does Transplanted Hair Fall Out? If yes, Why?
- 2 Is Transplanted Hair Permanent?
- 3 Does Transplanted Hair Fall Out in One Year?
- 4 Does Transplanted Hair Fall Out During Wash?
- 5 Does Transplanted Hair Fall Out With Years?
- 6 Why Does Not Transplanted Hair Fall Out?
One of the most common questions among patients is whether transplanted hair falls out or it is permanent.
There are a few situations:
- Transplanted hair loss
- Shock loss after hair transplant
- Patient’s natural hair loss
- Hair loss on the donor area
Does Transplanted Hair Fall Out? If yes, Why?
It is known that the hair from the area between two ears on the back of the head does not thin, which is why it is used as a donor. The reason for hair loss is DHT (dihydrotestosterone) hormone. This DHT hormone does not affect the donor area. Nape (donor) hair is resistant to this hormone. You can find more details about this topic on the page about hair loss reasons. DHT resistant hair is stronger and when transplanted it does not thin on the recipient area as well. Does this work for all cases? There is no such rule as transplanted hair does not fall out at all. According to our experience and practice, if donor hair is strong and does not thin, it will not thin on recipient area as well.
If by the years donor hair falls out, transplanted hair does the same. This is the genetic lifetime of the hair. We just transplant the hair from one area into another. In other words, the donor hair genetic remains the same after transplantation.
There is a hair loss classification:
- Hair Loss and Thinning Due to the Age: Young patients can lose hair after hair transplant with years. 70-80 year old people usually have their hair thinned or fell out. Their donor hair was also strong at a young age, but got weaker in time. If their hair was transplanted from the nape (donor) to the other areas, this hair would thin and fall out together with the rest hair.
- Chronic and Autoimmune Diseases: Those candidates who did not have chronic diseases during hair transplant and obtained them later can also face hair loss. Based on the disease type treatments can help to get the hair regrew or they may not. This situation is often met in people with thyroid or diabetes problems.
- Chemotherapy: Chemotherapy can cause transplanted hair loss. Usually, this hair regrows back when treatment finishes.
- Hair Loss Caused by Bad Hair Transplant: One of the most important things in hair transplant is to implant it in proper depth. If the hair is implanted too deep, it does not grow, if not deep enough, it falls out.
- Hair Transplant in Unsuitable Candidate: Donor hair must be examined first (whether it is suitable for the transplantation or not). We transplant only strong hair which is in anagen phase. The telogen and catagen phase hair falls out quickly after the transplantation.
Transplanted Hair Shock Loss
Very detailed information about the subject is on relevant shock hair loss page. Transplanted hair starts falling out in 15-20 days after the operation. It regrows back in 4-6 months. Shock loss intensivity is individual.
Schock Loss of the Existing Hair
Existing hair can also fall out after the hair transplant, there are two reasons:
- Natural hair loss which is not connected to transplantation. Patients can sometimes blend it with a transplanted hair shock loss.
- In density increase hair transplant existing hair also can fall out, but it regrows back.
Shock Loss on Donor Area After Hair Transplant
It can happen when too many grafts are extracted from the donor area. This situation can be referred to as the bad hair transplant. Some of the hair may not regrow back.
Beard and Chest Transplanted Hair Loss
When head donor hair is weak, beard and chest hair can be transplanted as well. Beard hair is strong and thick, which is why its survival rate is higher compared to the chest. We transplant only strong and thick hair from the chest. In short, if healthy and thick beard and chest hair is transplanted, its loss rate is low.
Is Transplanted Hair Permanent?
This depends on the donor hair quality. If donor hair does not fall out from the donor area, it does not fall out from the recipient area as well.
Does Transplanted Hair Fall Out in One Year?
If transplanted hair falls out in one year after the operation, this means that operation was wrong or it is a matter of disease.
Does Transplanted Hair Fall Out During Wash?
Hair Wash within the first 48 hours after the procedure must be very gentle. Strong and uncareful wash may cause damage to transplanted hair.
Does Transplanted Hair Fall Out With Years?
In time transplanted hair can fall out with existing hair. This depends on hair thinning due to age.
Why Does Not Transplanted Hair Fall Out?
The reason is hormones. If donor hair is extremely resistant to hormones that cause loss, transplanted hair also does not fall out.