- 1 Research Before Hair Transplant
- 2 Before Hair Transplantation Decision Period (Consultation with Doctor or Clinic)
- 3 After Decision & Before Hair Transplant
- 4 Which Criteria Do Influence the Decision in Hair Transplants?
- 5 Points to Pay Attention Before Hair Transplant
- 6 Does Hair Transplant Hurt?
- 7 Who Can Do the Hair Transplant?
- 8 Where Should I Have the Hair Transplant?
- 9 I Have Diabetes, Can I Have the Hair Transplant?
- 10 Can I Undergo the Hair Transplant if I Have Hypertension?
- 11 What Should NOT Be Done Before Hair Transplant?
- 12 Is Blood Test Required for Hair Transplants?
Searching for good clinics before hair transplant feels like fish in troubled waters. Some people chose the first hair transplant clinic on the list. Others do proper research to choose a reliable center.
Before hair transplant period can be divided into 3 core stages:
- a) Research
- b) Decision and Consultation
- c) Before Hair Transplant Surgery
Research Before Hair Transplant
Where do usually patients get information about hair transplant?
- a) Friends Advice. Usually, people refer to friends who went through hair transplant.
- b) Barber Shops. Hair is the most popular subject talked in barbershops. Men usually trust their barbers and follow their advice.
- c) Internet. Websites, Google, Instagram, or Facebook are rich sources for those people who are considering the hair transplant. However, internet is full of info pollution. Moreover, the majority of hair transplant clinics promote strongly in social media because of the big competition.
- d) Forums. You can reach a lot of valuable information on the hair transplant forums. Personal feedbacks about hair transplant results are very significant for patients.
Before Hair Transplantation Decision Period (Consultation with Doctor or Clinic)
One of the first steps before hair transplant is getting in touch with a doctor or clinic. This first contact is an appointment at the clinic and doctor examination. Once the medical and physical examinations are completed, the doctor decides whether a patient is suitable for surgery or not.
Candidates who reside on distance can reach the clinic through phone, mail, or WhatsApp. Usually, they are asked to send several photos captured from left, right, front, and top. Although these photos do not give a final hair transplantation image, they are quite guiding for a future procedure. If there are any diseases, the clinic/doctor should be informed about them in advance. The doctor and patient should already build a positive dialogue on this stage.
Let us imagine the very first examination at the clinic before the surgery. What is done during the first appointment and examination before hair transplant? Which information is given?
- 1. Contact Details and General Information
- 2. Physical and Hair Examination
- 3. Previously Taken Medicine and Passed Surgeries (hair)
- 4. Anamnesis Test
- 5. Laboratory Tests
- 6. Patient’s Expectations and Doctor’s Decision
- 7. Graft Number Determination and Quotation
1. Contact Details and General Information
You will be asked for a personal information like name, surname, mail, cell phone number, emergency contact. We would like to be in touch with you during and after hair transplant. Our clinic also requires emergency contact just in case.
- a) Age. Hair transplants at earlier ages may not be suitable. The panning should be made based on family hair loss history and the donor area capacity. Usually, young people have high expectations. If a sufficient number of grafts for extraction does not meet these expectations, it is better to cancel the surgery.
- b) Gender. The causes of hair loss in women should be clearly revealed before hair transplantation by a detailed laboratory examination.
- c) Occupation. People who work in factories and contact chemicals like paint may also suffer from hair loss.
- d) Blood Group. A blood group is one of the most general information in medicine. It may also be required.
2. Physical and Hair Examination
Physical examination before hair transplant is about hair evaluation.
- Type of Hair Loss. Hair loss in women is classified according to Ludwig, while in men it is Norwood. We describe detailly hair loss types on another page. In the case of advanced Norwood 7, the hair transplant may not be appropriate. This is why it is worth to examine donor capacity in advance. Norwood and Ludwig’s classifications help us to draw the right direction.
- Structure of the Hair – Quality. Hair is classified as thick, thin, and medium. Thread hair is always a disadvantage that leads to grafts lack. In this case, beard or body hair can be examined. Many patients have low donor area capacity, they can apply to hair transplant from beard.
- Hair Form. It can be divided into curly, wavy, and straight. Grafts extraction by the FUE technique may cause graft loss in black patients. This is one of the reasons for the popularity of the FUT method in the United States since it is suitable for curly hair.
- Hair Color. Grey, black, brown, red, blonde are the general hair colors. Transplants of grey hair are harder compared to others, it is advised to dye it before the surgery.
3. Previously Taken Medicine and Hair Transplants
While collecting information about candidates the doctor may ask whether they are on medicine, their type if any, details about shampoo, and other care products used. Commonly, candidates who undergo hair loss went through certain medical treatments to prevent hair from falling out. Here is a list of some medications and procedures:
- Hair Transplant Made in Past. The doctor identifies it immediately during the 1st examination. To determine the total number of grafts, it is worth knowing how much grafts were transplanted within the previous surgery.
- Use of Finasteride. (is sold under the names Proscar – Propecia.) It is one of the most powerful medicine against hair loss. There may be some side effects.
- Minoxidil – Rogaine. Together with Finasterdine, it is one of two FDA approved medications. It maintains in spray and foam forms.
- PRP and Mesotherapy. It is worth knowing whether this treatment was applied and its results
- Biotin, Procapil (Hiar Forte) Use.
- Blue Water Use. It is very popular today and is strongly advertised.
- Wig Use. Some people use wigs during a certain period and then give up to proceed with hair transplants.
- Toppic or Used Shampoos.
- Siguarettes and Alchohol.
4. Questions that Doctors Ask
Your doctor will ask you several questions before hair transplant.
- History of the Hair Loss. How long the hair loss progresses and if it has any connection to the seasons. Hair loss intensity and its relation to age can be very helpful for the doctor.
- History of the Hair Loss in Family. Hair loss is closely connected to genetic inheritance. This is why hair loss in close relatives, such as father, mother, siblings, uncles should be analyzed as well because it can help to draw an image of the candidate’s case in the future.
- History of Chronic Diseases. You must inform if you have serious diseases like hypertension, diabetes, heart conditions, etc. If necessary, your doctor will consult with related departments.
- Use of Medications (Especially Blood Thinners). Some medicine shows a reaction to local anesthesia (like blood pressure pills). Blood-thinning medications, such as coumadin, may increase bleeding. The patients should stop having them for some time before the hair transplant. He/she also needs to consult the cardiologist or other doctors. It is necessary to learn whether local anesthesia is suitable and if it is harmful to stop the medication for a certain period. The doctor should make a decision and give you appropriate instructions.
- Allergy. You may have an allergy to the medications used during hair transplants. The doctor must check if you any predispositions to allergies.
5. Laboratory Tests
Surveys help to identify the character of hair loss. Hair loss in women must be tested without exceptions. The hemogram shows an anemia state. It is necessary to be informed about infectious diseases such as hepatitis B, hepatitis C, HIV (Aids) before hair transplant. In our country, there is a tendency not to accept HIV positive people for hair transplantation, which is a very wrong position in our opinion. Hair transplant slightly differs from any regular surgery. Additional safety measures should be taken and this is it. Hair transplants in HIV positive people can be done just like appendicitis. The purpose of these tests is to protect the operation doctor and his assisting personnel.
Additional tests such as ECG may be needed for people with heart problems. In this case, it is best to refer the person to a cardiologist. If hair transplantation is planned for a woman, additional examinations such as hemogram, thyroid function tests (T3, T 4, TSH), thyroid ultrasound, and the level of total testosterone in the blood are needed).
6. Doctor’s Decision and Patient’s Expectations
Doctor must decide whether a patient is a suitable candidate before hair transplant. Once he gets the test results listed above, he starts planning the surgery, if possible. An experienced doctor can tell whether the operation ends successfully or not before hair transplant. The candidate’s opinion is also very important here. The doctor has to inform the candidate about hair look after 8-10 months. A highly qualified doctor does not operate hair transplants when donor capacity is poor or when he sees that the surgery cannot change the case. Otherwise, most likely, operation results in the bad hair transplant.
7. Graft Number Determination and Quotation
Another significant part of before hair transplant period is graft number. A sufficient number of grafts in the back of the head area must be determined first. As for supplementary reserve, the beard and chest hair can be considered as well. The most crucial thing in graft calculation is the hair itself. It is impossible to create hair grafts for transplantation out of nothing. The doctor transplants hair from one area into another. In other words, he changes hair locations on the body. Finally, the candidate should be informed whether he/she is having shaven or unshaven operation, or whether body hair is going to be used.
How many grafts can be taken not defecting the donor area? How many square centimeters can the extracted grafts cover? The ratio of hair per each square centimeter on the hairless area should be adequate. For example, if donor capacity is only around 2.000-2.500 grafts and the case is Norwood 7 where 10.000-15.000 grafts are required, hair transplant operation is senseless. Moreover, if the candidate age is young and he has high expectations, there will be no positive outcome. All in all, the hair transplant doctor must plan operation and calculate sufficient grafts number very properly. For some patients this surgery as worth as the life.
The price may be based on grafts number or be independent from it. You can find more information on the Hair Transplant Price page.
After Decision & Before Hair Transplant
You have negotiated with hair transplant doctors/clinics for a few months and selected a suitable place for you. Now the most exciting period starts. Your doctor can advise you to follow some instructions before the procedure. We recommend you o follow these instructions because they will help you to better prepare for the surgery.
Some clinics may ask you to deposit advanced payment. We do not have any objective opinion about this. Our only advice is to try to stay away from places that offer big immediate discounts, campaigns and that are ready to perform the surgery without seeing you or examining your photos. There are loads of clinics like that, so-called, under the counter. Avoiding them means avoiding disappointing outcomes.
Which Criteria Do Influence the Decision in Hair Transplants?
- Hair Transplant Cost. One of the main criteria for all candidates before hair transplant surgery. Some people prefer the cheapest places. Others believe that the most expensive and luxury places offer the highest quality. As mentioned above, related forums can be very helpful in this question.
- Before and After Hair Transplant Results. The before and after results increase confidence for the decision. The pictures of a person who underwent a hair transplant are the most helpful in considering the clinic
- Presence of the Doctor During the Surgery. Unfortunately, hair transplant is treated as a simple procedure like a visit to the barbershop. Sometimes, the presence of the doctor in the operation is one of the most crucial factors for candidates.
- Surgery Technique. Once a candidate collects information about all methods, he/she chooses the most suitable technique, for instance, FUT, FUE, Dhi Hair transplant, micro motor or manual, etc.
- Advertisements. Advertisements in Google search significantly influence decision making.
- Operation Location. Hospitals, clinics, and health centers are allowed to operate hair transplants by the Ministry of Health. Usually, candidates prefer to have their hair transplanted at places connected to medicine, but, unfortunately, sometimes they get into traps.
- Assistance After the Surgery. This is a significant point underestimated by many. The selected hair transplant clinic must support you during after hair transplant period and be easily reached.
Points to Pay Attention Before Hair Transplant
It is worth remembering that hair transplant is a medical intervention, even if it is small. This procedure should not be very exaggerated or underestimated. Hair loss is not a disease in medicine. Every two people out tree face hair loss after 30. Hair loss is a natural situation inherited genetically and it is not a defect. In brief, people willing to undergo hair transplants just want to look better and feel better. If the hair transplant is a very big deal and exaggerated by the candidate a lot, it is better to consult a psychologist first.
Hair transplants should be approached logically. If a candidate has a hairless area together with a poor donor area, the expectations must not be high. It is not possible to recover the loss of 40-50.000 grafts by transplanting 4-5.000. Promises to achieve an 18-year-old hair look does make sense.
Do’s and Don’ts Before Hair Transplant
- Choose comfortable clothes for the operation day. For example, a shirt with buttons with a crew neck. In other words, everything that does not cause damage to grafts and lets you feel more relaxed.
- The general instructions are the same in female hair transplant, eyebrow transplants, and beard transplant. Details are described in related pages.
- Do not drink any alcohol a few days before the surgery. It is also scientifically proved that smoking effects the surgery negatively.
- If you are on blood thinners, it is better to stop, but consult with your doctor first.
- Candidates who are on Minoxidil must take a break for at least a week before the operation.
- Diabetes, hypertension, and other similar diseases should be discussed in advance. The only case when hair transplant is not possible is hemophilia, in other words, the genetic absence of congenital coagulation. Despite this, there are no other obstacles to hair transplants. You just need to discuss your diseases with the operation doctor. For instance, a candidate with diabetes can easily go through the procedure if he/she supports the state with antibiotics and the situation is under the control.
- If you are too stressed and excited, we advise you to take tranquilizers.
- If the surgery is not operated in sedation (short sleep), you are better to come with a full stomach. When sedation is applied, it is better to not eat for 5-6 hours before the procedure.
Does Hair Transplant Hurt?
The hair transplant is a small surgery. There is no certain harm. If it is operated within general medical rules, there is no damage.
Who Can Do the Hair Transplant?
According to legal legislation of Turkey, any doctor who maintains medical aesthetic, dermatologic, plastic surgery certificate is allowed to operate the hair transplant. Before selecting a clinic, please make sure if there is a doctor from one of these divisions
Where Should I Have the Hair Transplant?
A hair transplant is not a procedure to rush for. Learn if the clinic has a doctor? Is he participate in the surgery? Are before and after pictures convincing? Do you trust the clinic? Will you get support after the surgery? Get the honest answers to these questions and do not hurry to get the hair transplanted.
I Have Diabetes, Can I Have the Hair Transplant?
The general yes or no answer is not appropriate here. If your sugar level is in the norm, there are no obstacles for the hair transplant. However, special care may be needed after surgery.
Can I Undergo the Hair Transplant if I Have Hypertension?
You should take your medications regularly. There may be tension changes during the operation. In this case the doctor should take into consideration possible changes and hold the situation under the control.
What Should NOT Be Done Before Hair Transplant?
Actually, there are no restrictions. Take on full and comfortable clothes. Do not panic. Get enough sleep on the eve. Inform your doctor about the medications you are on
Is Blood Test Required for Hair Transplants?
Some tests are reqıired in hair transplants in women. Other tests like HIV, Hepatitis must be conducted.