Searching for good clinics before hair transplant feels like fish in troubled waters. Some people chose the first hair transplant clinic on the list. Others do proper research to choose a reliable center.
The period before a hair transplant can be divided into 3 main stages:
- a) Searching for information
- b) Decision and consultation
- c) The period after the decision and up to the day of surgery
Searching for information
What information is available for those patients who are considering hair transplantation
- a) Recommendations from friends. This is usually when people find an acquaintance who has undergone a hair transplant procedure and get a recommendation from them. They don’t waste time looking for one.
- b) Barber Shops. Hair is the most popular subject talked in barbershops. Men usually trust their barbers and follow their advice.
- c) Internet. Websites, Google, Instagram, or Facebook are rich information sources for people considering the hair transplant. However, internet is full of data clutter. Moreover, the majority of hair transplant clinics promote strongly in social media because of the big competition.
- d) Forums. You can reach a lot of valuable information on the hair transplant forums. Personal feedbacks about hair transplant results are very significant for patients.
Decision-making period before hair transplantation (consultation with a doctor or clinic)
One of the first steps before a hair transplant is contacting a doctor or clinic. This first contact is making an appointment with the clinic or seeing a doctor. Once the medical and physical exam is completed, the doctor decides whether or not the patient is suitable for surgery.
Candidates form another countries can reach the clinic through phone, mail, or WhatsApp. Usually, they are asked to send several photos captured from left, right, front, and top. While these photos do not give a definitive view of the hair transplant, they are a guide for the future procedure. In addition, if there are any medical conditions, the clinic/doctor should be informed in advance. Already at this stage, the doctor and the patient should build a positive dialogue. Soon, the patient is informed whether or not he/she is suitable for a hair transplant.
Let’s imagine the very first examination at the clinic before surgery. What is done during the first appointment and exam? What information is required?
- 1. Contact Details and General Information
- 2. Physical examination of hair
- 3. Medications and procedures (related to hair)
- 4. Anamnesis Test
- 5. Lab Tests
- 6. Patient’s Expectations and Doctor’s Conclusion
- 7. Determination of number of grafts and cost of procedure
1. Contact Details and General Information
You will be asked for personal information: first name, last name, mail, cell phone number, emergency contact number. We would like to be in touch with you during and after the procedure. Our clinic also requires an emergency contact just in case.
- a) Age. Hair transplants at an early age may not be appropriate. Family history of hair loss and donor area capacity is to be considered when planning. Usually young people have excessive expectations. If a sufficient number of grafts to be taken do not meet these expectations, it is better to cancel the surgery.
- b) Gender. The causes of hair loss in women should be clearly identified prior to hair transplantation through a detailed laboratory examination.
- c) Occupation. People who work in factories and come into contact with chemicals such as dye may also suffer from hair loss.
- d) Blood Group. Blood type is one of the most common pieces of information in medicine. This information may also be needed.
2. Physical and Hair Examination
- Type of Hair Loss. Hair loss in women is classified by Ludwig while in men by Norwood. We will talk about the types of hair loss in details in another article. In the case of progressive Norwood 7, a hair transplant may
- be. Therefore, it is worthwhile to explore the possibilities of the donor area in advance. Norwood and Ludwig classifications help outline the right direction.
- Hair Structure – Quality. Hair is classified as thick, thin and medium hair. Threadbare hair is always a disadvantage, which leads to a lack of grafts. In this case, hair transplants from the beard or body can be resorted to. Many of our patients have few potential donor hairs and often turn to beard hair transplant.
- Hair shape. They can be divided into curly, wavy and straight. FUE graft extraction can lead to loss of grafts in dark-skinned patients. One of the reasons the FUT method is popular in the United States is that it is suitable for curly hair.
- Hair Color. Gray, black, brown, red, and blond are the main hair colors. Transplanting gray hair is more difficult than other hair, so it is recommended to dye it before the surgery.
3. Medications used and procedures performed (hair-related)
When gathering information about patients, the doctor may ask if they are taking medications, their type, if any, details about the shampoo and other care products used. Generally, people who suffer from hair loss go through certain medical treatments to prevent hair loss. Below is a list of some medications and treatments:
- A history of hair transplantation. The doctor determines it immediately during the 1st examination. To find out the total number of grafts, you should know how much grafts were transplanted during the previous surgery.
- Use of Finasteride. (Proscar – Propecia.) It is one of the most powerful drugs against hair loss. There may be some side effects.
- Minoxidil – Rogaine. Together with Finasterdine, it is one of two drugs approved by the FDA. It comes in spray and foam form.
- PRP and Mesotherapy. It’s worth finding out if this treatment has been used and the results.
- Biotin, Procapil (Hair Forte) Use.
- Blue Fluid It is very popular remedy in Turkey today and is strongly advertised.
- Wig Use. Some people use wigs for a certain period and then give them up to proceed with hair transplants.
- Toppics (hair building fiber) or Used Shampoos.
- Alcohol and smoking.
4. Questions That Doctor Asks
Your doctor will ask you several questions before hair transplant.
- History of the Hair Loss. How long the hair loss has been progressing and whether it has a relationship to the seasons.
- History of the Hair Loss in Family. Hair loss is closely related to genetic heredity. This is why hair loss in close relatives such as father, mother, brothers, sisters, uncles should also be checked, as this can help provide insight into the patient’s future hair condition.
- Family history of hair loss. You must inform if you have serious diseases like hypertension, diabetes, heart conditions, etc. If necessary, your doctor will consult with related departments.
- Use of Medications (Especially Blood Thinners). Some medicine shows a reaction to local anesthesia (like blood pressure pills). Blood-thinning medications, such as coumadin, may increase bleeding. The patients should stop having them for some time before the hair transplant. He/she also needs to consult the cardiologist or other doctors. It is necessary to learn whether local anesthesia is suitable and if it is harmful to stop the medication for a certain period. The doctor should make a decision and give you appropriate instructions.
- Allergy. You may be allergic to medications used in hair transplants. Your doctor should check to see if you have any allergies.
5. Laboratory Tests
Examinations help determine the nature of hair loss. Hair loss in women should be checked without exception before a hair transplant. A hemogram shows the state of anemia. Before surgery, it is necessary to be informed about infectious diseases such as Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, HIV (AIDS). In our country, there is a tendency not to accept HIV-positive people for hair transplantation, which, in our opinion, is a very wrong position.
The surgery is not much different from the usual procedure. It is just necessary to take additional safety precautions. Hair transplants in HIV-positive people can be performed in the same way as for appendicitis. The purpose of these tests is to protect the doctor performing the surgery and the staff assisting him.
For people with heart problems, additional tests such as an EKG may be necessary. In this case, it is best to consult a cardiologist. If a hair transplant is planned for a woman, additional tests such as a hemogram, thyroid function tests (T3, T 4, TSH), thyroid ultrasound, and total testosterone levels in the blood are needed).
6. Patient expectation and physician opinion
Doctor must decide whether it is reasonable to perform a hair restoration to a candidate. After receiving the test results listed above, he begins to plan the surgery. An experienced doctor can tell if a hair transplant will end up successful or not before the procedure even begins. The patient’s opinion here is also crucial. A highly qualified doctor does not perform hair transplant surgery when the potential of the donor hair is low or when he sees that the surgery cannot make a difference. Otherwise, it is likely that the surgery will result in a failed hair transplant.
7. Determining the number of grafts and the cost of the procedure
Another important part of hair transplantation is the planning. The fırst step is determine a sufficient number of grafts. Hair on the beard and chest can be considered as an additional reserve. The most important thing is the hair number. It is impossible to create hair grafts to transplant from nothing. The doctor transplants hair from one area to another. In other words, he changes the location of the hair on the body. Finally, the patient must be informed about whether he or she will be shaved or unshaved and whether body hair will be used , and whether body hair is going to be used.
How many grafts can be extracted without deforming the donor area? How many square centimeters of transplant area can be covered? The ratio of the amount of hair per square centimeter on the hairless area should be adequate. For example, if the donor area is only 2,000-2,500 grafts, and a Norwood 7 requires 10.000-15.000 grafts are required, hair transplant surgery is pointless. Moreover, if the patient is young and has high hopes, there will be no positive result. In general, the doctor performing the hair transplant must plan the surgery properly and calculate a sufficient number of grafts. For some patients, this amount could be priceless.
Later, the clinic will tell you the cost of the surgery. The price may be based on the number of grafts or it may not depend on it. Visit Hair Transplant Price page.
Before the decision is made
For several months, you have been negotiating with hair transplant doctors/clinics and have chosen the right place for you. Now begins the most exciting period. Your doctor may advise you to follow some instructions before the procedure. We recommend that you follow these instructions as they will help you be ready for the surgery.
Some clinics may ask you to deposit advanced payment. we are not in a position to judge them. Our only advice is to try to stay away from places that offer big immediate discounts, promotions, and are ready to perform the surgery without seeing you or examining your photos. There are a lot of such clinics, so-called “from under the counter” clinics. Avoiding them, you will avoid disappointment.
Which Criteria Do Influence the Decision in Hair Transplants?
- Hair Transplant Cost in Turkey. One of the main criteria for all applicants. Some people prefer the cheapest places. Others think that the most expensive and luxurious places offer the highest quality
- Before and After Hair Transplant Results. The before and after results increase confidence for the decision. Photos of a person who has undergone a hair transplant are the most helpful when choosing a clinic
- Presence of the Doctor During the Surgery. Unfortunately, hair transplant is treated as a simple procedure like a visit to the barbershop. Sometimes a doctor’s presence at the surgery is one of the most decisive factors for candidates.
- Surgery Techniques. After gathering information about all methods, the patient chooses the most appropriate technique, such as FUT, FUE, DHI Hair transplant, micromotor or manual, etc.
- Advertisements. Advertisements in Google search significantly influence decision making.
- Post-hair transplant support. The Department of Health allows hospitals, clinics, and medical centers to perform hair transplant surgery. Patients usually prefer hair transplants in medically related places, but unfortunately, they sometimes fall into traps.
- Assistance After the Surgery. This is an important point that many people underestimate. The hair transplant clinic you choose should support you throughout the post-hair transplant period and be easily accessible.
What Should You Do Before Hair Transplant?
It is worth remembering that hair transplant is a medical intervention, even if it is minor. This procedure should not be very exaggerated or underestimated. Hair loss is not a disease in medicine. Every two people out tree face hair loss after 30. Hair loss is a natural pattern, inherited genetically, and it is not a defect. In short, people who are willing to undergo hair transplants simply want to look better and feel better. If a hair transplant is a very serious topic for a person and he/she exaggerates it a lot, it is better to consult a psychologist first.
Hair transplants should be approached logically. If a patient has a hairless area together with a poor donor area, the expectations shouldn’t be inflated. It is not possible to recover the loss of 40-50.000 grafts by transplanting 4-5.000. Promises to achieve a look like in youth does make sense.
Do’s and Don’ts Before Hair Transplant
- Choose comfortable clothing for the day of surgery. For example, a button-down shirt with a neckline. In other words, anything that doesn’t cause damage to the grafts and makes you feel more relaxed.
- The general instructions are the same in female hair transplant, eyebrow transplants, and beard transplant. Details are described in related pages.
- Do not drink alcohol a few days before surgery. It is also scientifically proven that smoking has a negative effect on surgery.
- If you are taking blood thinners, it is better to stop taking them, but consult your doctor first.
- Patients taking minoxidil should take a break for at least a week before surgery.
- Diabetes, hypertension and other similar conditions should be discussed in advance. The only case where hair transplantation is not possible is hemophilia, or a genetic lack of congenital blood clotting. In spite of this, there are no other barriers to hair transplant. You just need to discuss your medical condition with your doctor. For example, a person with diabetes can easily go the procedure if he/she maintains the condition with antibiotics and the situation is under the control.
- If you are too tense and agitated, we advise you to take tranquilizers.
- If the surgery is not performed in sedation (short nap – aesthesia), it is better to come with a full stomach. When sedation is used, it is better to not eat for 5-6 hours before the procedure.
Does Hair Transplant Hurt?
Hair transplants are a minor operation. There is no definite harm. If the surgery is done within the general medical guidelines, there will be no harm.
Who is eligible for a hair transplant?
According to legal legislation of Turkey, any doctor who maintains medical aesthetic, dermatologic, plastic surgery certificate is allowed to operate the hair transplant. Before selecting a clinic, please make sure if there is a doctor from one of these divisions
Where Should I Have the Hair Transplant in Turkey?
A hair transplant is not a procedure to rush into. Find out if the clinic has a doctor? Does he or she participate in the surgery? Are before and after pictures convincing? Do you trust the clinic? Do you get support after surgery? Get honest answers to these questions and take your time getting a hair transplant?
I Have Diabetes, Can I Have the Hair Transplant?
A general yes or no answer is not appropriate here. If sugar levels are normal, there are no barriers to hair transplant. However, special monitoring may be needed after surgery.
Can I Have a Hair Transplant if I Have Hypertension?
You should take your medications regularly. There may be tension changes during the operation. In this case the doctor should take into consideration possible changes and hold the situation under the control.
What Should NOT Be Done Before Hair Transplant?
Actually, there are no restrictions. Take on loose and comfortable clothes. Avoid negative thoughts. Get enough sleep the night before. Inform your doctor about the medications you are taking.
Are Blood Test Required for Hair Transplants?
Some tests are required in hair transplants in women. Other tests like HIV, Hepatitis must be conducted.
Should I Get Haircut Before Hair Transplant?
You should not get your hair cut at least 1 month before hair transplant. Your surgeon must check your hair quality and density, short hair does not give a picture of the above.
Is There Any Diet Before Hair Transplant?
There is no any nutrition restriction before hair transplant. You must have a light breakfast at the day of the operation. Alcohol is not advised a few days before hair transplant, otherwise, you may have intense bleeding.
What Should I Know Before Choosing Hair Transplant In Turkey?
We have made a list of criteria that will help you to select reliable hair transplant clinic in Turkey, you can find it here. We shared statistics and misconceptions in the society that you will guide you to take a right decision.